Parenting Info & Links
This section lists a range of services available to parents and their children that may help during the sometimes difficult teenage years. A range of issues are covered including alcohol, drugs, relationships, mental health, bullying, and sexual health.
Helpful Website Addresses for Parents and Caregivers
Alcohol and other drugs:
- Drug Aware - https://drugaware.com.au/. Access to the Alcohol and Drug Support Line (08) 9442 5000 which is a statewide 24 hour confidential telephone counselling service for anyone seeking help for their own or another person’s alcohol or drug use.
- Alcohol Think Again - http://alcoholthinkagain.com.au/Parents-Young-People. Access to the Alcohol and Drug Support Line (08) 9442 5000 which is a statewide 24 hour confidential telephone counselling service for anyone seeking help for their own or another person’s alcohol or drug use.
- Parent and Family Drug Support Line - https://www.mhc.wa.gov.au/about-us/our-services/alcohol-and-drug-support-service/parent-and-family-drug-support-line - a confidential, 24 hour telephone counselling, information and referral service for anyone concerned about a loved one’s alcohol or drug use.
- Holyoake- www.holyoake.org.au Provides a service for individuals, youth and family to address issues around alcohol and other drug use.
- Drug Arm WA- www.drugarmwa.org.au Provides counselling to individuals and families.
- Headspace- https://headspace.org.au/ Youth services for young people aged between 12-25. Young people can access information and support to address a range of issues including mental health, drug and alcohol, sex and sexuality and family and relationships.
- Anglicare WA- Youth Crisis Accomodation Services- www.anglicarewa.org.au Provides a range of services for children, youth and families including crisis accommodation, education and support.
Centrecare - www.centrecare.com.au - provides counselling, support and mediation for children, youth and families. Specific services include Youth Outreach Intensive Support Service (10-18 year olds) and Parent Teen link (10-21).
Mercy Reconnect - www.mercygroup.com.au - provides free mediation between young people and parents.
Relationships Australia - www.relationships.com.au - provides counselling for children, adults and families on a variety of issues.
Communicare - www.communicare.org.au - provides family support, education, practical assistance and counselling.
Respectful Relationships - http://www.theline.org.au/
- Relationships Australia - regularly run a number of patenting courses, view all courses running between January-July 2018: https://www.relationshipswa.org.au/-/media/RAWA2012/Files/Downloads/Education-timetable/Courses-and-Seminars-Booklet.ashx
- Mental Health Commission Think Mental Health Campaign - https://www.thinkmentalhealthwa.com.au/
- Headspace - https://headspace.org.au
- Youth Focus - www.youthfocus.com.au - an early intervention and prevention service offering support to young people aged 12-18 who may be showing early signs of depression, suicide ideation and self harm.
- Helping Minds - www.helpingminds.org.au - offers services such as education, youth programs and family support.
- Beyond Blue - www.beyondblue.org.au
- Act Belong Commit - www.actbelongcommit.org.au
- Children of Parents with a Mental Illness - COPMI- www.copmi.net.au - provides information and links to support options to assist young people (up to 18) who have parents with a mental health disorder.
- Sexual Health Quarters - www.shq.org.au
- Get the Facts - www.GetTheFacts.health.wa.gov.au
- Freedom Centre - www.freedom.org.au - a place for young people (under 26) to support each other and their communities to be informed, happy and healthy about their sexuality, sex and gender.