Parenting Info & Links
This section lists a range of services available to parents and their children that may help during the sometimes difficult teenage years. A range of issues are covered including alcohol, drugs, relationships, mental health, bullying, and sexual health.
Alcohol & Leavers Celebrations
Leavers is an opportunity for Year 12 students from 2017 to celebrate the end of their schooling with their friends.
Just a reminder that the official Leavers’ celebration period this year is from Monday, 20th November to Thursday, 23 November 2017. Popular locations include Dunsborough, Busselton, Margaret River and Rottnest Island. For more information visit the Leavers WA website.
For more information:
Parents have the power to help at exam time
Eighty per cent of school students are keeping exam stress bottled up, while also increasing pressure on themselves to perform. As tens of thousands of students continue their exams, we’re encouraging parents to ReachOut@ExamTime to help them beat the books – and the blues.
Helping a stressed teenager, let alone talking to them about stress, can be tough at exam time, but here are a few simple ways you can help a teenager feel a bit better than before.
Get more tools:
Helpful Website Addresses for Parents and Caregivers
Alcohol and other drugs:
- Drug and Alcohol Office- www.dao.health.wa.gov.au. Access to the Parent drug information service which is a statewide 24 hour confidential telephone service for parents, families and carers.
- Holyoake- www.holyoake.org.au Provides a service for individuals, youth and family to address issues around alcohol and other drug use.
- Drug Arm WA- www.drugarmwa.org.au Provides counselling to individuals and families.
- Headspace- https://headspace.org.au/ Youth services for young people aged between 12-25. Young people can access information and support to address a range of issues including mental health, drug and alcohol, sex and sexuality and family and relationships.
- Anglicare WA- Youth Crisis Accomodation Services- www.anglicarewa.org.au Provides a range of services for children, youth and families including crisis accommodation, education and support.
Centrecare- www.centrecare.com.au - Provides counselling, support and mediation for children, youth and families. Specific services include Youth Outreach Intensive Support Service (10-18 year olds) and Parent Teen link (10-21).
Mercy Reconnect- www.mercygroup.com.au - Provides free mediation between young people and parents.
Relationships Australia- www.relationships.com.au - Provides counselling for children, adults and families on a variety of issues.
Communicare- www.communicare.org.au - Provides family support, education, practical assistance and counselling.
Respectful Relationships- http://www.theline.org.au/
- Headspace- https://headspace.org.au/
- Youth Focus- www.youthfocus.com.au An early intervention and prevention service offering support to young people aged 12-18 who may be showing early signs of depression, suicide ideation and self harm.
- Helping Minds - www.helpingminds.org.au Offers services such as education, youth programs and family support.
- Beyond Blue- www.beyondblue.org.au
- Act Belong Commit- www.actbelongcommit.org.au
- Children of Parents with a Mental Illness- COPMI- www.copmi.net.au Provides information and links to support options to assist young people (up to 18) who have parents with a mental health disorder.
- Sexual Health Quarters-www.shq.org.au
- Get the Facts- www.GetTheFacts.health.wa.gov.au
- Freedom Centre- www.freedom.org.au a place for young people (under 26) to support each other and their communities to be informed, happy and healthy about their sexuality, sex and gender.